Why Reusable Moving Boxes Are a Great Alternative to Cardboard!
Guest Author for Coastal Van Lines: Nate A.
Having personally moved 11 times in the past 15 years I can personally attest to the sheer hassle of not only buying cardboard boxes for a big move, but also on deciding what to do with these boxes upon the completion of the very laborious and time consuming process of physically moving. Whether across the country, or even from one home to another in the same town. Acquiring moving boxes is a key part of the moving process.
As a young man, I often just shoved as much as I could into cardboard boxes, preferably large or extra boxes. This method, though quick for packing, proved particularly difficult for unpacking. As I grew older and had a family, we began packing much smarter, and really taking our time to organize. I quickly purged many of my collegiate textbooks and other hard cover books I hadn’t looked at in at least 3 years. All-and-all, my wife and I slowly refined the process, but we had lots of practice.
One thing we began to do was to buy large or medium sized plastic bins to store our household goods in our garage. As a mover, I realized how important and valuable these plastic bins became for a “big move.” The more plastic bins I had, the less cardboard boxes I needed to acquire. My last move was primarily, reusable plastic bins, which I had begun to acquire over the past 5 years. Not only do these plastic bins hold more weight, but I found they were much easier to organize and put larger items within. Also, I didn’t have to find a lonely space in the garage or attic for a mass surplus of “gently used” cardboard boxes, that I may or may not use again in the near future.
Here are the Top Ten Reasons I use Reusable Plastic Moving Containers vs. Cardboard Boxes
10. Environmentally Plastic Containers make sense. They last for years and can be re-purposed for multiple types of storage.
9. Ever had a leak in your garage or attic? Plastic Moving Bins are much better for wet surfaces and will not get ruined in the same way that Cardboard can if they get wet.
8. Utility. If you purchase plastic boxes or bins outright, you can reuse them in your garage, attic, basement, etc for holiday items, storing your unused items, or even use them to keep memorable items and keepsakes for years to come.
7. Price. Believe it or not, renting plastic containers from a “Green” or “Eco-Friendly” Moving Container company can actually be cheaper than buying Cardboard boxes outright.
6. Convenience. If you rent Plastic Eco-Friendly boxes, most of these companies offer free delivery and in some cases free pickup after the move.
5. Time. There are two sides to this coin. If you rent Plastic Boxes, you are put into a time constraint. Usually a week or two. This means you are forced to get things packed up and ready much quicker. On the flip side, if you already own plastic boxes or plastic bins, you can take your time packing, and will not need to make a trip to the Big Box Store to buy any cardboard.
4. Packing. Packing is considerably difficult if you have a hodgepodge of items, box sizes, etc. If you get a larger, standard sized plastic moving bin, your mover will have an easy time using a dolly and stacking these boxes into the moving truck.
3. Durability. I can’t tell you how many times I have accidentally broken a cardboard moving box, either right before moving it into the moving van, or during the shifting process that often occurs during packing.
2. Simplicity. If you rent plastic moving bins from a reputable company, not only will you get free pickup and delivery, but often these companies provide a free dolly, twist ties, stickers, and other useful items that will help you ready your home for your moving company.
1. All around less Hassle. Once you get to your new home, and your movers have unloaded your boxes, you can easily unpack your items, and then stack your reusable plastic moving containers in your garage or spare room. The box rental company will pick up your plastic containers and you will not have to worry about where to store them, or how to get rid of them.
Be sure to Ask Larry Parks about how he moved the Vero Beach Florida County Administrative Offices using Reusable Plastic Moving Bins! His methods saved the county valuable time, money, and eased insurance worries that can come from office workers packing countless cardboard boxes over the course of multiple weeks.